- Save the Date: Jan 29-31, 2015. New Partners for Smart Growth Conference.
- National Working Waterfront Network launches Sustainable Working Waterfront Toolkit.
- Just Released: Report from Roundtable on "Achieving Hazard-Resilient Coastal & Waterfront Smart Growth"
- Element 6: See new resources available to help get started.
- Smart Growth principles compared: Smart Growth principles compared to coastal and waterfront smart growth elements.
NOAA and EPA's report on "Achieving Hazard-Resilient Coastal & Waterfront Smart Growth" presents ideas shared by smart growth and hazard mitigation experts related to building hazard-resilient coastal communities.
Coastal and waterfront communities have a distinctive sense of place created by their history, as well as by their characteristic sights, sounds, and smells. On the coast, the bellow of tugboats and the salty taste of ocean air; along lakes and rivers, the sound of the water and the feel of brisk waterborne winds-all come together to shape our sense of these special places... more
Bounded by water, coastal and waterfront communities are challenged to make the best use of limited land while protecting critical natural resources from the potentially damaging effects of growth. These communities must consider a common set of overarching issues when managing growth and development. more
How can smart growth strategies help coastal and waterfront communities manage growth and development while balancing environmental, economic, and quality of life issues? How can communities on the water adapt smart growth strategies to fit their unique character? This website will help communities answer these questions. It is specifically targeted to anyone who plans, designs, builds, approves, or has an interest in development at the water's edge. more